Obesity is a Medical Condition
Medical Information • July 30, 2019
Being overweight or obese is not a personal choice. Obesity is a disease caused by a complex interplay among genetics, the environment, altered metabolic physiology, and many other factors. Excess weight is not solely the result of eating too much and moving too little.
Factors contributing to weight gain and obesity:
- Genetics: studies suggest that generics contribute to 40-70% of obesity.
- Nutrition: not all calories are created equally. Also, many chemicals and emulsifiers found in processed foods can affect metabolism and lead to weight gain
- Hormones: for many people insulin-resistance is an issue
- Medication: many prescription medications cause weight gain and should be evaluated for replacements that are weight-neutral
- Environment: weight can be affected by culture, family and where you live
- Sleep: disrupted sleep and sleeping less than 7 hours per night can predispose to weight gain and obesity
Elyse Dishler, M.D.
Medical Weight Loss of Chery Hill
Source: Obesity Medicine Association, 2019.