The Finances of Obesity and Being Overweight
Lifestyle • July 15, 2019
The healthcare costs for an individual with extra weight or obesity are 42% higher than the costs of an individual at a healthy weight.
My patients are often initially concerned about the fact that I don’t take insurance for office visits. They worry that this will be financially difficult. After a few months, patients usually tell me how shocked they are that their new healthy eating and improved health is SAVING THEM MONEY.
When patients work with a good Obesity Medicine specialist:
- They eat healthier food, have lower grocery bills, and usually eat out less often.
- Their medical conditions start to improve or become obsolete making them rely on fewer medications and lowering the cost of their copays for medications and specialists.
- Their mood and self-esteem improve, making them better able to succeed at work and in relationships…improving finances and quality of living.
- They have fewer missed days of work.
- They have fewer long-term medical issues and fewer hospitalizations in the future (this has been statistically proven).
We all have an easier time justifying the price of paying a plumber, the price for highlights in our hair, the price of a round of golf; but what is more important that the price of our health??
The landscape of medical care is changing, and medicine is becoming more like a business than an art.
I PRIDE MYSELF ON CONTINUING TO PRACTICE THE ART OF MEDICINE.
YOU CAN EITHER STRIVE FOR WELLNESS TODAY OR TREAT YOUR ILLNESSES TOMORROW.
Put your health at the top of your priority list.